Surgical or invasive procedure
This means a new surgical technique or interventional procedure.
A new procedure must be a:
- surgical procedure (making a cut or a hole to gain access to the inside of a patient's body)
- procedure accessing the body cavity without cutting
- procedure using electromagnetic radiation, such as x-rays or lasers
It must also:
- be available within the NHS or independent sector, or be about to be used for the first time outside of formal research
- not yet be considered standard clinical practice
NICE publishes guidance on the use of interventional procedures in the UK. This guidance assesses the safety and efficacy of new techniques and procedures. Notify NICE about a new procedure or find out more about surgical innovations and the advancing surgical care from the Royal College of Surgeons England.